- Where is the em dash on the keyboard?
- How do I type an en dash?
- How do I make an em dash?
- How long is an em dash?
- How do you make an em dash on your phone?
- When should a dash be used in writing?
- How do I insert an em dash in Word?
- What is an em dash?
- How do you use a dash in the middle of a sentence?
- What is the difference between an en dash and em dash?
- How do you type an en dash in Google Docs?
- What is a double em dash?
- How do you use a dash instead of a comma?
Where is the em dash on the keyboard?
If you have a numeric keyboard, hold down the Alt key and type 0151 for an em dash or 0150 for an en dash..
How do I type an en dash?
Hold down one of the Alt keys and type on the numeric keypad: 0150 for an en dash or 0151 for an em dash. The dash appears when you release the Alt key. On a keyboard with no numeric keypad, use a Fn (Function) key combination to type the numbers.
How do I make an em dash?
3. 1. Inserting an em-dash in WordFor Mac: press “option+shift+hyphen key”. … For desktop PC: press “alt+ctrl+minus” on the numeric keypad (the number section on the far right of your keyboard).More items…
How long is an em dash?
The character is called an em dash because it is one em wide, a length that varies depending on the font size. One em is the same length as the font’s height (which is typically measured in points). So in 9-point type, an em dash is nine points wide, while in 24-point type the em dash is 24 points wide.
How do you make an em dash on your phone?
Hold the dash button on the Android smartphone keyboard; you’ll get three options for the dash that you want including n-dash and m-dash.
When should a dash be used in writing?
1. To set off material for emphasis. Think of dashes as the opposite of parentheses. Where parentheses indicate that the reader should put less emphasis on the enclosed material, dashes indicate that the reader should pay more attention to the material between the dashes.
How do I insert an em dash in Word?
To insert an em dash, click where you want to insert the em dash and then press Ctrl + Alt + – (minus sign on the numeric keypad).
What is an em dash?
The em dash (about as wide as an uppercase M), is a relatively artistic punctuation mark, compared to the more technical hyphen and en dash. An em dash is most often used to indicate a pause in a sentence. It’s stronger than a comma, but weaker than a period or semicolon.
How do you use a dash in the middle of a sentence?
Use a dash to show a pause or break in meaning in the middle of a sentence:My brothers—Richard and John—are visiting Hanoi. (Could use commas.)In the 15th century—when of course nobody had electricity—water was often pumped by hand. (Could use brackets.)
What is the difference between an en dash and em dash?
There are two types of dash. The en dash is approximately the length of the letter n, and the em dash the length of the letter m. The shorter en dash (–) is used to mark ranges. The longer em dash (—) is used to separate extra information or mark a break in a sentence.
How do you type an en dash in Google Docs?
To create an em dash, press the option and minus key. To create an en dash, press Shift, Option, and the minus key.
What is a double em dash?
The em dash is an incredibly versatile punctuation mark that can be used instead of parentheses, commas, colons, or quotation marks in a sentence. The em dash has a fan club of sorts, as writers love to debate its many uses (and possible overuses).
How do you use a dash instead of a comma?
Use Dashes in Place of a Comma Em dashes can be used in pairs to replace commas when writing a parenthetical or interruptive phrase. The dashes have a slightly more emphatic feel, making the reader focus on this information that is set inside the special marks.